A holistic approach
With memory support at Elegance Berkeley, people living with Alzheimer’s and other types of dementia benefit from individualized care and strong relationships with specially trained staff. A secure, intentionally designed neighborhood features SAFELYYOU fall-prevention technology, a music room, demonstration kitchen, active engagement stations and sensory relaxation room. Our DAYPULSE approach to care and engagement programs creates a consistent daily routine based on energy patterns of those living with memory loss in order to help stabilize mood, alleviate anxiety, improve sleep and stimulate appetite.
THE DAYPULSE APPROACH
Each day’s routine is structured around three distinct energy levels.
Memory loss often causes disrupted physical and mental daily energy patterns. Day and night cycles can be reversed, leading to poor sleep, apathy, anxiety and decreased appetite.
Our DayPulse approach to care and engagement programs adds structure and predictability to daily life, by providing a consistent daily routine based on the energy patterns of those living with memory loss.
As a licensed assisted living community in California, we offer the following care and wellness services:
ADL (ACTIVITIES OF DAILY LIVING) SUPPORT
- Bathing, Showering, Oral Care and Grooming Support
- Dressing/Undressing Support
- Toileting Assistance
- Incontinence Management
- One- and Two-Person Transfers from Bed or Chair Mechanical Lift Assistance*
- Escorts To and From Meals and Events
- Assistance with Self-Administration of Medications
- Medication Management including Reviews by a Pharmacist, Medication Reconciliation, Pharmacy Consultations, and New Medications Filled within 48 Hours
- Three Nutritious, Freshly Prepared Meals Daily
- Mealtime Assistance and Adaptive Dining Equipment
- Accommodations for Mechanical Soft, Pureed or Thickened Liquids Diets
- Accommodations for Lower-Sodium Diets
THERAPY & SAFETY
- Physical, Occupational, Respiratory and Speech Therapy On-Site
- Coordination of Home Health, Podiatry and Dental Care Services
- Status Checks
- Safety Checks
- Standard Fall Risk Precautions
- Caregivers On-Site 24/7
NURSING & MONITORING
- Licensed Nurse On-Call 24/7
- CPR-Trained Staff On-Call 24/7
- Weight and Vitals Monitoring (if assessed for or ordered by Physician)
- Assistance with Medical Equipment, CPAP, Anti-Embolism Stockings and Braces Administration of Nebulizer Treatment and Medications
- Administration of Enemas and Suppositories*
- Oxygen Administration
- Colostomy and Ileostomy Care
- Catheter Care
*as allowed by state regulations/licensure
Residents with Alzheimer’s and dementia benefit from a safe environment and thoughtful approach.
Staff trained in dementia care support the needs of each resident with a focus on clear distinguishable choices throughout the day. We also tailor our care with mood stabilizing lavender-scented towels and aromatherapy diffusers to calm, de-stress and enhance overall mood.
Research shows that regular exercise for those with dementia or other forms of Alzheimer’s can potentially help limit cognitive decline. Residents enjoy walking, stretching, and games that help maintain flexibility and mobility.
Residents experience daily programs that stimulate the senses through music, the arts and exercise along with group outings to stay connected and engaged.
Mealtime is another opportunity for residents to connect with each other. Meals served on vibrantly colored plates help residents see their food more clearly. The Creative Kitchen program activates smell and taste while residents cook alongside culinary staff and reminisce over delicious meals from their past.
Secure indoor and outdoor spaces encourage independence, and furniture designed for older people is arranged to promote conversation and connection. Artwork is carefully chosen to invoke a sense of nostalgia and place.
What are memory support apartments like?
Memory support apartments and are designed for comfort, safety, accessibility – and connection. Their smaller floor plan is intentional, to encourage residents to spend time engaging with their neighbors and caregivers, in common spaces. Studio and shared-suite options feature a private bathroom.
How much does memory support cost?
In addition to a monthly apartment rental rate, memory support services are offered at a monthly rate based on the amount and type of services performed. Services are based on estimated time required for service per month and the care team member(s) providing the service (i.e. Licensed Nurse, Care Partner and Medication Technician).